Agence Mamu Innu Kaikusseht
L’Agence Mamu Innu Kaikusseht (AMIK) has as its primary objectives, representing the interests of its seven Innu member-communities in the sustainable management of aquatic resources and oceans; and supporting traditional and commercial fishing activities.
The words mamu Innu kaikusseht mean “together the native fishermen” in Innu-aimun, which is the Innu language. They reflect the pride of the Innu people as they practice their traditional fishing activities and emphasize the importance of these activities in maintaining their culture and developing their communities.
AMIK’s vision extends to all Innu communities of the North Shore of the Saint Lawrence and is two-fold:
- Prosperity: Members belonging to aboriginal communities benefit from environmental, spiritual, economic, cultural and social prosperity.
- Governance: Aboriginal governance is established and known for respecting the conservation and sustainable management of aquatic resources and oceans.
AMIK’s core activities are designed to:
- Create fishing expertise facilitating the communities’ informed participation in consultations and decision-making processes, associated with the use and management of halieutic resources.
- Meet the training needs of fishermen and fisheries managers of member-communities.
- Promote the conservation of aquatic resources and oceans through education and awareness.
- Encourage technological innovation and the development of fishing and aquaculture products.
KEY ACTIVITIES INCLUDE
- Sustainable Fisheries Management
- Environment protection and awareness
- Research and Development
- Traditional Indigenous Knowledge
- Education and awareness
- Executive Director
- Deputy director
- Fisheries Manager
- Environmental Sector Manager
- 2 Project Managers
- Workshop Hosts
- Boat Captains
∙ Band councils of all our member communities ∙ Pêcheries Uapan ∙ Agri-Food Export Group Québec–Canada ∙ Poissonnerie Fortier ∙ Pêcheries Shipek ∙ Institut Tshakapesh ∙ Fisheries and Oceans Canada ∙ Canadian Coast Guard ∙ Transport Canada ∙ Aboriginal Affairs Secretariat (AAS) ∙ Ministère de l’Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l’Alimentation (MAPAQ) ∙ Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) ∙ Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MÉES) ∙ Parks Canada ∙ Réseau d’observation des mammifères marins (ROMM) ∙